• Volvo Car UK records its best UK annual new car sales total since 1990
• 56,208 new Volvo models purchased by British customers in 2019, an increase of 12% on 2018's figures
• Volvo outperforms challenging UK market, where overall annual sales dropped by more than 2%
• Sales volume delivers increase in Volvo's market share from 2.13 to 2.43%, reflecting its status as one of the UK's fastest-growing premium car manufacturers
• Volvo's multi-award-winning SUVs lead the sales rush – the compact XC40 reaching 15,445 sales, ahead of the mid-size XC60 with 11,766
• Increasing demand for pre-owned vehicles, with best-ever Volvo Selekt Approved Used Car sales, up 13% year-on-year to more than 33,000 in 2019
• UK results contribute to Volvo's new global sales record of 705,452 cars, up nearly 10% on 2018's figure of 642,253
• Volvo set to build on this success in 2020, strengthening its range and introducing further new electrified cars, including the XC40 PHEV and BEV models
Volvo Car UK recorded its best annual new car sales results for 29 years in 2019, with 56,208 vehicles leaving showrooms.
Volvo's impressive 12% increase on its 2018 performance is set against a challenging and cautious market in which overall sales dropped by more than 2%, reinforcing the brand's reputation for desirability and quality. A comprehensively renewed model range, distinctive, contemporary designs, industry-leading safety and innovative connectivity technology combine to make Volvo a stand-out brand in the premium segment, where it remains one of the country's fastest-growing car manufacturers. In the past year, it also increased its UK market share from 2.13 to 2.43%.
Volvo's undeniable appeal further fuels demand for pre-owned vehicles, with the Volvo Selekt Approved Used Car service recording its best-ever annual sales performance. More than 33,000 Volvo Selekt Approved Used Cars were sold in 2019, an increase of 13% on 2018's figures and the third consecutive year of growth.
Back in 1990 – the year of the H plate – Volvo's sales were dominated by its 740/760 and 940/960 saloon and estate car ranges, along with the style-setting 480 hatchback. Three decades later and it's the SUVs which are by far the most popular models. By contrast, the top-seller in 2019 was the compact XC40. The winner of multiple awards since its introduction in 2017, it amassed 15,445 sales in the past year. The larger XC60 also had a five-figure total, with 11,766 sold, while the V40 hatchback took third place in the UK sales rankings with 8,337 units.
The UK sales tally makes a healthy contribution to Volvo's global success: 2019 was the best-ever sales year for the company, with 705,452 cars sold, up nearly 10% on 2018's achievement of 642,253 sales.
Kristian Elvefors, Volvo Car UK Managing Director, said: "There are many factors which have contributed to our outstanding UK sales performance, not least the commitment and hard work of everyone at Volvo Car UK, the retailer network and our suppliers. Their faith in our products and what we are trying to achieve as a business more widely is inspiring and gives customers confidence in choosing to drive our cars. And I am pleased to say there is more to come. In 2020, we will continue the roll-out of our electrified car strategy, increasing the options available for people to choose advanced powertrains that deliver great performance and the kind of efficiency that's better for the environment."
Matt Galvin, Volvo Car UK's Sales Director, added: "2019 was a fantastic year for Volvo Car UK, with the highest new car sales performance for almost three decades and the best Volvo Selekt Approved Used Car sales result ever. With exciting new cars on the horizon, including the XC40 plug-in hybrid and fully electric models, we're confident that Volvo will strengthen its position as the industry success story it is today."
For more information on the Volvo range, please go to www.volvocars.com/uk