For Immediate Release
TO CAR BUYERS
ROCKLEIGH, N.J., June 5, 2001 - A national omnibus survey conducted recently by Opinion Research, Inc., indicated that safety still plays a dominant role in the American car buyers' purchase decision.
Conducted over the weekend of March 29th to April 1st of this year, 1025 respondents (51% female/49% male) were asked four key questions about the role safety plays in the automobile purchase decision and the brand names they most closely associate with automotive safety. The results were as follows:
- 70% of the total sample answered "yes"
- 67% of all males and 73% of all females surveyed answered "yes"
- Respondents 18 to 44 showed a higher interest in safety than those 45 or over
- 76% of those responding who had children in their household said "yes"
- 83% of respondents said "yes"
- 76% of all males and 89% of all females surveyed answered "yes"
- 86% of all respondents ages 25-44 answered "yes"
- 87% of respondents with children in the household answered "yes"
(This was asked as an unaided question)
- Of the total sample, nearly one out of five respondents or 20% said Volvo
- The next highest responses were Ford at 12%, Chevrolet at 10% and Mercedes-Benz at 6%. Other luxury brands such as BMW and Lexus came in at 1% or lower
- 25% of all males responding and 16% of the females sampled responded Volvo
(Respondents were provided a list of brands to choose from)
- Far and away, Volvo was the number one response with 41%. This was followed Mercedes-Benz at 21%, Lexus at 13% and BMW at 8%
"Over the years Volvo has worked hard to develop and market some of the safest vehicles available. And we did it even before safety was 'sexy'", says Bob Austin, Director of Marketing Communications for Volvo Cars of North America, LLC. "It is nice to see that the consumer appreciates and understands the effort we as a company have put in to make driving safer."
Volvo Cars of North America is part of the Volvo Car Corporation of Goteborg, Sweden, which is owned by The Ford Motor Company. The company provides marketing, sales, parts, service, technology and training support to the 328 Volvo automobile retailers in the US and 43 in Canada. The 2001 Volvo automobile line includes the flagship S80 luxury sedan, versatile V70 wagon and rugged Cross Country, C70 coupe and convertible, the sporty, new S60 sedan and compact S40 and V40 models.
Volvo Cars of North America
For information on how Volvo Cars process your personal data in relation to Volvo Cars Global Newsroom click here.