Volvo's UK new car sales break 50,000 in 2018 to reach 28-year high
• Volvo sold 50,319 new cars in the UK in 2018, its highest total in 28 years
• Sales volume up 9% on 2017, countering the overall 7% decline in the UK new car market
• Volvo UK market share of 2.13%, up from 1.82% in 2017, the fastest market-share growth among all premium car brands
• V40 premium compact hatchback (13,413) and XC60 mid-size SUV (11,394) are the brand's best sellers
• UK performance contributes to another year of record global sales, with more than 640,000 Volvo cars sold worldwide
• Strong growth in Volvo Selekt approved-used car sales, reaching another UK all-time high, up 13% year-on-year
Volvo Car UK has achieved its highest new car sales total in 28 years, selling 50,319 cars in 2018. This marks an exceptional 9% increase in sales volume, bucking the trend in a market that declined overall by 7%.
As a result, Volvo grew its market share from 1.82% in 2017 to 2.13%, posting the fastest growth among all premium car brands.
The V40 premium compact hatchback was the best performer, with annual sales of 13,413. It just edged the XC60 mid-size SUV, at 11,394 sold. The XC40 compact SUV (6,846), XC90 large SUV (6,834) and V90 large estate (4,113) completed Volvo's top five for 2018.
Volvo's impressive UK performance contributed to another record year for the brand in global sales, with 642,253 vehicles sold – an increase of 12.4% on 2017.
The positive results also extend to Volvo Selekt approved-used car sales, where the UK total soared by 13% in 2018 to an all-time high of 29,012 units.
Jon Wakefield, Managing Director of Volvo Car UK, said: "In a challenging year for the UK new car market, we have confirmed our position as the fastest-growing premium car brand. From these results, it is clear that customers are continuing to respond positively to the style, quality and appeal of our range of premium cars, and appreciating the lead we are taking in pushing the boundaries of safety and technology.
"The results are not just about figures on a spreadsheet, they also reflect the hard work and commitment of everyone in our business and the retail network.
"We will sustain our efforts to build on this success in 2019, supported by the introduction of further new models, including the S60 saloon and the Cross Country version of the new V60 estate."
For more information on the Volvo range, please go to www.volvocars.com/uk
For information on how Volvo Cars process your personal data in relation to Volvo Cars Global Newsroom click here.